With the World Cup just a few weeks away, time to take a look at each country’s talented youngsters (age 20 max) that are likely to be called up.
Fact: not all countries or national team coaches select such young players.
Looking at the selections of each participating country for the past year, there are some countries that have not selected a single player eligible for this article.
World Cup favorites Brazil and Argentina are notable examples.
There are other national teams with no eligible players, and countries that do have one or two but who did not make the top 20.
Without further ado, here is our list of 20 top players under 20 at the World Cup 2022: (with national team, age, club team and value in Euro)
- 20 Jewison Bennette (Costa Rica/18/Sunderland/1m)
- 19 Issahaku Fattawu (Ghana/18/Sporting CP/3m)
- 18 Facundo Pellistri (Uruguay/20/Manchester United/3m)
- 17 Hannibal Mejbri (Tunisia/19/Birmingham City/6m)
- 16 Felix Afena-Gyan (Ghana/19/Cremonese/6m)
- 15 Joe Scally (USA/19/Mönchengladbach/8m)
- 14 Zeno Debast (Belgium/19/Anderlecht/8m)
- 13 Jakub Kaminski (Poland/20/Wolfsburg/10m)
- 12 Nicola Zalewski (Poland/20/AS Roma/12m)
- 11 Yunus Musah (USA/19/Valencia/15m)
- 10 Kamaldeen Sulemana (Ghana/20/Stade Rennais/18m)
- 9 Piero Hincapié (Ecuador/20/Leverkusen/22m)
- 8 Giovanni Reyna (USA/19/Dortmund/35m)
- 7 Eduardo Camavinga (France/19/Real Madrid/55m)
- 6 Ansu Fati (Spain/20/Barcelona/60m)
- 5 Nuno Mendes (Portugal/20/PSG/60m)
- 4 Gvardiol (Croatia/20/RB Leipzig/60m)
- 3 Gavi (Spain/18/Barcelona/70m)
- 2 Jamal Musiala (Germany/19/Bayern/80m)
- 1 Jude Bellingham (England/19/Dortmund/90m)
The players on this list were selected based on chance of being called up to the World Cup, chance of being played and actually doing something with those minutes. Then they were sorted based on transfer value. (all transfer values consulted on http://www.transfermarkt.com)